Saturday, May 24, 2008

Boy Howdy

So it has been a year since I posted anything. Wow. This has been pretty much a year of workworkworkworkwork. I:

*Coached high school basketball
*Graduated with a Masters
*Got published
*Worked an impossible schedule and taught without a classroom
*Co-taught with an impossible person who I intend to never willingly see again in my lifetime
*Had a gazillion meetings
*MOVED all my stuff into a new school and into my own classroom YAY!!

Yesterday was the last day of school, marking the completion of my second year teaching in public education. Two years down, 28 to go. Sweet Jesus teaching is intense. Teachers need summers off just so they can recover.

On another note, I Broke My Saw by Love Tractor is the best song ever. Written by the late great Athenian John Seawright. It would be so cruel to have to live without a deadly tool.


P.S. the lyrics in the liner notes are wrong!
Tell the wood dealer to come to my house
I broke my saw and I can't come out
I lost it all
When I broke that deadly saw
And nobody around here even knows what I'm talking about.
You're going to need a saw
To get something to live without
Yeah I'm going to need a box
After you burn it out
Well I lost it all when I broke that deadly saw
And it don't mean a thing just to have it on my mind.
When you sing in feedback
To your place
Only to find out
A sideshow in a nightclub after any old midnight
Since full of hate I simply can't stand to be any other way
But way-out
Cast out from the in-crowd oh
You get so lonely
You're going to need a saw
To get something to burn
Unless you use your bachelor house
Or your pickle churn
Well I lost it all when I broke that deadly saw
And I don't like the way you tell me to stand back and wait my turn
Well I lost it all when I broke that deadly saw
But it don't mean a thing just to have it on my mind
When you say now I'll be back late to your place
Only to find out
A sideshow in a nightclub after any old midnight
Since full of hate I simply can't stand to be any other way
But way-out
Cast out from the downtown oh
You get so lonely
You get lonely motel six
Oh you must be invisible, man.

It would be so cruel
To have to live without a deadly tool
Or at least that is what I hear.

5 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I broke my saw" *is* the best song ever. Period.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what's the song about? Is there some deeper meaning or is it what it seems to be about; a psychotic episode involving a broken saw?

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous AG said...

I just saw Athens, GA: Inside/Out. When John Seawright appeared and began reading his poem, I thought it sounded familiar. Thanks for posting lyrics...it's hard to nail down exactly what they are.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger sgtaji said...

Agreed. One of my favorite songs. The Dick Dale surf guitar, 80's Athens jangle, echoplex submersed vocal, a broken "deadly" saw… leave it on repeat please.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger EdwardM said...

It seems when he recites the poem in the movie, there are some differences from the song lyrics. are there different stanzas? I remember some parts about:
Man needs a saw so he can get some wood.
Man needs a saw so he can do some good.

and

Man breaks your saw you can run him lame.
Break it your own fool self you got no one to blame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home